Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Edumacate You Self

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I present the above website as a public service announcement. Wikipedia is in close competition with Salon for the honor of my homepage.

OK, the truth. Wikipedia beat Salon for the honor. Why did Salon lose?

It's depressing and it's expensive - two words I hate. I like the words peppy and cheap. Peppy and cheap.

I decided it would be exciting, thrilling, and refereshing to read an encyclopedia for change, especially an encyclopedia that goes out of its way to give topics such as the Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everthing (read at your own peril)1 equal footing to the Life of Pope Clement V (even more perilous to read than the other one).

My current home page is set to select a random Wikipedia page every time I return to it. This is easy enough to setup yourself, simply set your homepage to the following URL, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Randompage.

1 Note also that Google's calculator has an answer, too.

No comments: